Thursday, April 4, 2013

McCalls 6604


I won this really pretty pink gaze crepe fabric from Sew Exhausted  earlier this year and thought it would be a pretty spring blouse.  The problem was that January in Indiana is cold.










 
But now it is finally getting warmer (slightly) and spring is on the way,
 
 
 
 
 
So I made Mcalls 6604
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This top went together very quickly and would look nice in many different fabric types both knit and woven.
 
The scoop of this top looks more like the line drawing rather than the one pictured on the model.  I will raise the neckline a bit the next time. When I attached the binding I did not sew it down by hand on the inside.  I instead folded the binding in half, sewed it to the inside (wrong side ) of the neck then folded it to the front and topstitched.   This picture shows the binding and the front pleat detail.
 
 
 
I finished  the sleeves with a 1/2" double turned hem.  I wanted a deeper hem for the top but I did not want to use to much length so serged a 1" band to the bottom pressed the serging up and then top stitched the serging down.
  This is also faster than double turning the hem and gives a bit more weight to the hem than if I just serged, turned up and top stitched.
 
 

 
 
 
 
  The back shoulder area was also a little snugger than I prefer but it did not look tight while I was wearing it.  Maybe if the front of the top was brought up through the shoulders it would fix both the neckline and the back shoulder area.  I'll try it next time and let you know how it works.  I also wore this top on Easter with a pink skirt and was happy with the look.
 
I think I was able to make this top in about 1-1/2 hours  which is another reason to like it. 
 

3 comments:

  1. So how are you doing on your New Year's Resolutions? I don't seem to get enough done and I'm retired! I'm working to get a quilt done for Hilary for HS graduation; it is b/w and was a BOM from Ady's. I have to make more blocks; there are 13 blocks done. How big would you make it?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you were busy before you retired you are still busy after you retire.

      I have been working on my goals,(not resolutions) I have posted almost weekly and I have made most of my clothes though not all. I have not made a winter coat or slacks yet, but I saw a sweater pattern I would like to try. I do try to be less wasteful daily and I need a lot of work on my German.

      I love Black and White. Will this be a quilt to use? If so I don't think I would make the quilt too large because I think it will be more useful to her if it is smaller. Maybe twin size or so? Are the blocks 12" You could also stop when you get tired of making the blocks and let that determine the size.

      Delete
  2. Darlene! I am SO happy you made this with the fabric! It is so pretty and springy! And I love the hem idea. I am going to do that next time I sew one of those floaty type fabric tops! Beautiful! ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete