I found this skirt in a thrift shop and fell in love with the colors. It is a little redder than it appears here but it is a orange red, a very pretty color. The skirt was too large and too long and rather shapeless.
I cut off the waistband
I shaped the skirt making it narrower in the waist and hip area and taking more off the top. I straightened up the right side seam a bit more than you see in the picture below then, I serged the new front and back together. I had considered using a real waistband and zipper but I decided that I wanted to wear the skirt sometime this year so I serged the top edge, turned it under and added an elastic waist. I saved a lot of time by using the original skirt hem by opening the hem up on each side seam and re-stitching after the sides were serged.
Here is my finished skirt after about an hour of cutting and sewing time.
My cost for skirt and elastic is about $3 but the important thing is I am happy with the results of this upcycle project and it is no longer in my sewing room.