Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sewing repairs and Walmart



 Can Sewing be boring? 

The last 2 weeks has mostly kept me busy with  sewing repair work,

I hemmed 2 pair of slacks for my husband,
Serged around some towels to keep them useful for as long as possible,
I fixed a State flag
I sewed a button on my husbands dress shirt.
repaired1top  and 1 jacket for my daughter
I fixed binding and replaced Velcro on some lead x-ray vests
I darned a couple of favorite socks.  Does anyone do that anymore?

I reinforced some dog leads for my friends Dog grooming shop.   I also embroidered a chair back for her about a year ago but she has since moved her shop and wanted another chair embroidered.  I did this and then I wanted to cover the embroidery up on the back of the chairs because they are seen from the sidewalk, especially when you see I had stabilized one chair back differently a year later.  The fix was easy, I  just cut 2 red rectangles of scrap fabric, finished the edges and applied them with double sided tape so you couldn't see any extra stiches on the front.  The different red is not noticeable  through the window and now looks much neater.






 
 
 
The conclusion is that none of those sewing jobs was boring, it is nice to have a useful skill.  I did get a new top made this week as well as a skirt for my daughter.  I'll give you details later.
 
 
 
The Franklin Indiana Walmart has a fabric department again, it  includes thread, interfacing  and zippers.  There was fabric on both sides of the aisle.  I remember buying fabric for many out fits for my daughter and niece as well as some for my self.   I think that having fabric at Walmart helps beginning sewers as well as young sewers like those in 4H find affordable fabric in a place they are already shopping. 
 
Thank you Walmart.
 
 
 
 




I took this picture while walking in the woods recently.  These flowers were only about 3 or 4 inches high and a treat to see.  I am not sure what they are but it I find out I'll let you know.

1 comment:

  1. Jere does mend his own socks. I'm glad Walmart is getting fabric again. I purchased in Martinsville a couple months ago. Greenwood Walmart is getting the area ready. You sew clothes much more than I do. I am trying to get a quilt done for my granddaughter's high school graduation, June 13 in VA. I am knitting and appliqueing while watching TV at night. I also knit to Muncie each week.

    ReplyDelete