Saturday, June 29, 2013

Shipshewanna ASG Bus Trip

On Friday June 21 my daughter  and I joined the Indianapolis Sewing Guild on a bus trip to Shipshewana  IN.  We were pleasantly surprised to find out that since the trip had sold out we were refunded $10 of the $40 trip fee.  Nice job ASG and thank you.

This trip was part of my daughters 19th Birthday present and we had a really nice time.  We chatted on the 3-1/2 hour trip (each way)  and then had an absolutely perfect day walking around the town shopping together.  Many of the shops have locally made items but not all.  Some items came from  China and India.  Most of the time you can tell the items origin by the price but you can also look at the tags if you want to be sure.

One of the places we really enjoyed was a small art gallery, Galarina Folk Arts which housed the work of several Amish artists and artists close to the Amish as well  Will Moses and others.

Our favorite activity was eating at the Blue Gate Inn.  This was a real treat for us and more than I would usually spend for lunch. The food is simple Amish/country food.  Knowing that we would be walking the meal off we opted for the all you can eat buffet but unlike other buffets, the items are brought to your table and refilled if needed. This is so much nicer than trying to carry your over filled plate back from the usual buffet line.  The Buffett has choices, you can get 2 meats plus Chicken, 1 meat plus Chicken or  the lowest cost at 15.99 was the Chicken Buffett

Our server was a very nice young man and he made sure we had every thing we needed.





 
Here is our small loaf of fresh baked bread, it is served with apple butter and a wonderful peanut butter spread.  The peanut butter spread is made with peanut butter, syrup  and marshmallow cream  It is really good.  We even purchased a jar of it at a store later in the day.







Our chicken meal included, mashed potatoes, gravy, homemade noodles, dressing  and green beans all brought on a tray and set at the end of our table.




Then came desert!  We had our choice of ice cream, some type of cream pie and my favorite bread pudding.  Our meal also included a drink but we both got water because we didn't want to consume too many calories. It was a good thing that we still had plenty of walking to do.



 
This was one of many gardens we saw.
 
 
 
I enjoyed going into Lollys, looking at the quilting fabrics and there was another  shop  affiliated with Lolly's in the same building that had lots of cute cuddly fabrics.  I spent a good bit of time  looking at both quilting and apparel fabric in Yoder's department store.  As difficult as it was I did not buy any fabric.  If you could see my overflowing and disorganized sewing room you would understand why.  I did however purchase a cute  pillow pattern and feet for a bag I might make in the next week or so.  Don't worry I saw  lots of packages make their way on the buss so I believe that the fabric stores needed  restocking after we left.
 
 
 
 


I also purchased some wooden spoons.  These spoons come in a variety of sizes and shapes and are made in Silver Lake Indiana from trees grown close by.  The ones I picked out are sturdy and strong without feeling too large, awkward or heavy.  They should last for many years but when they wear out I can throw them in my compost pile rather than the trash.




This was my second trip to Shipshewana with ASG, the last trip was in 2009, My daughter and I enjoyed every part of the day, it was nice to be in the company of so many sewing friends  and our wonderful favorite bus driver Shirley.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good time. It is so nice there. Can't believe that Lori is 19. Is she in college or planning to go?
    Hope to see you soon or at least at the EXPO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to tell you that when we had our place at Silver Lake, we went to the place that make the wooden stuff. I have some also. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa graduated mid term and started college in January, she is also taking 12 credit hours this summer. She is still living at home (smart girl).

      I will probably add more woodenware on my next trip.

      Did your granddaughter like her quilt? Why don't you send me a picture of it when you have time.

      Delete