Sunday, November 10, 2013

American Sewing Guild Annual Meeting with Pam Damour

Saturday November 2 was the Indianapolis Chapter of the American Sewing Guilds 35th annual meeting. Held at Primo Banquet Hall in Indianapolis.

As usual this was a fun day, we hold our elections have lunch with a bunch of friends  and are entertained by a National speaker all for a very reasonable cost of $35 per person.

We each received a packet that included the agenda for the day, some information about a bed and breakfast and possible retreat  locations as well as  a fat quarter of fabric.



 
 
 






Pam is a high energy, entertaining speaker who loves to teach.  She showed us many ideas that are used in home dec  that can  be used in any type of sewing you do.  One of the things  that was really appreciated was how to miter.  I have done mitering before on skirts and jackets as well as other items but I usually have to look it up every time.  Pam also has developed several tools that can make your sewing easier such as a double scallop ruler and a piping trim ruler.  She  has   DVD's, patterns and a couple of books (possibly more).  One is a pillow book that I purchased last year.  This book has some cute pillow ideas, some machine embroidery and a few recipes.  I plan on making one of the pillows for Christmas and hopefully it will be done this year.










Pam is also a zentangle instructor and sells  a pattern book and supplies.


We all received a tile(paper) and pencil and then with Pams instructions  drew a  pumpkin. Just like sewing each persons was a bit different.  I bought a white and grey fabric pen with the thought that some day I might draw some zentangle designs on fabric. 




There were many prizes and I think the majority of us won something.  Below is my prize.  This is cute, not something I would wear but it would be a cute pillow or wall hanging or part of a lap quilt.  I think I have plenty of time to decide what to make with it.   The grand prize was a paid registration to ASG's National conference.  I think just about everyone wanted to win that one.





A style show was held after lunch and I am  totally impressed with the wonderful outfits we were presented with.  I would like to have shown pictures but they didn't turn out well.   It is inspiring to see what "home sewers" can and do accomplish. 






Here I am with Pam and  look she is still smiling after a long day.

Pam, thank you for being our speaker this year, you were great.

Primo, thank you for the good food and nice atmosphere.

Indianapolis CAB, thank you for all your hard work.  I had a wonderful day.

Darlene

No comments:

Post a Comment